YouTube has become a search engine on its own even for those people who are not highly tech-savvy. You can watch, share and discover what the world is watching – from the hottest music, movies, games to what’s trending in politics, entertainment, technology, news and more. That’s why YouTube is popular and attracted by billions of users all around the globe. In almost all cases, every web visitor has seen some videos on YouTube.
Have you ever tried to watch a recommended video on YouTube but then you get the annoying message, “Sorry, this content is not available in your country”? Unfortunately, you can’t watch the video because it’s confined to specific countries.
In some countries such as China, Iran and Turkey, YouTube is completely inaccessible due to standing government bans. Also, some content is restricted to certain countries due to copyright and licensing agreements or simply because the content owner has chosen to make their content available only to certain countries. Luckily, this is where a Virtual Private Network (VPN) steps in and saves the day.
Best VPNs For YouTube
How to unblock YouTube with a VPN:
What is a VPN and How Does It Work?
A VPN is a connection for adding a much-needed layer of security and privacy to private and public networks, and the World Wide Web. It is a secure way to browse a target website or webpage through an encrypted tunnel that tweaks data passing through it either way. They ensure secure access to blocked websites such as youtube.com. Thus, protecting private information and the identity of anyone using this sort of service.
By encrypting and decrypting the information entering the tunnel at each end, government agencies and snoopers surveying internet traffic won’t understand the source and the destination of the signal. By using a VPN, you can conveniently and securely get around a website censored by a government agency or Internet Service Provider.
Essentially, a VPN encrypts your internet traffic, hides your real IP address, replaces with a new IP address assigned by the VPN server you connect to and allow you to watch and share your favourite YouTube videos. Thus, VPNs can be used to access region-restricted websites such as YouTube, shield your browsing history, mask your IP and protect yourself from prying eyes on the internet.
While there is no perfect VPN service that will be fit for everyone, the best VPNs for unblocking YouTube Videos can be filtered based on the following criteria.
a) Known to have passed all tests with no IP or data leaks found whatsoever.
b) Consistent and reliable performance throughout the server network.
c) High-quality and multi-platform VPN apps with all features working correctly.
d) Supports strong VPN protocols such as OpenVPN protocol and has strong encryption standards.
e) In-built internet kill switch. A kill switch monitors your internet connection for any change in traffic data and disconnects instantly if the VPN connection is dropped to keep your online identity secured.
f) An assurance of money-back policy and trial period.
g) A trustworthy and well-established VPN provider with a good track record.
h) Great customer service through live chats and ticketing.
Here are the best VPN services.
Here’s an in-depth examination of each.
ExpressVPN is the top-rated privacy-focused VPN provider based in the British Virgin Islands -BVI. It provides a huge network of 160 VPN servers locations in 94 countries all over the world, with a total of more than 3,000 fast and highly optimized servers. The service uses AES-256 in data encryption and lets you route selective devices and applications through the VPN. Besides, it has an inbuilt internet kill switch, runs its own private and encrypted DNS servers for enhancing online privacy and security.
You can access and view any YouTube video from any server you want as often as you like, with no limits. In addition, it is an offshore VPN based in the British Virgin Islands, where there are no mandatory data retention laws. Thus, it guarantees no collection of traffic data or activity logs.
- Excellent speeds throughout the server network. Express VPN offers consistently fast speeds in nearby and long-distance servers. The speed test feature helps you to pick the fastest server, based on your proximity to the server location, latency and available bandwidth.
- User-friendly and cross-platform. It has an intuitive graphical user interface. Additionally, offers fast, reliable, dedicated applications for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS and Linux
- Top-notch security. It’s backed by a network that is secured with 4096-bit CA-based encryption, the highest level of encryption that is currently considered unbreakable, while also offering good performance and ensuring there are no IP and DNS leaks.
- Located in a privacy-friendly jurisdiction. It is based in the British Virgin Islands (BVI), a tropical oasis where there are strict laws protecting the privacy of businesses and individuals operating there. Thus, the service is not required to retain user data.
- No activity and connection logs. ExpressVPN clarifies its commitment to user privacy and anonymity. It does not collect traffic data, web browsing history, DNS queries or anything that could be used to identify you.
- Robust and secure VPN server network. It has about 160 VPN server locations in 94 countries, with a total of more than 3,000 VPN servers. Servers run in RAM-disk mode, with nothing stored on the hard drive.
- Supports popular browser extensions. Offers ‘HTTPS everywhere’ browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox and Safari browsers. The add-ons help you to easily switch server locations directly in your browser, rather than having to navigate to the desktop or mobile VPN client.
- Offers split tunnelling feature. It allows you to access dissimilar networks, using the same or different network connection. You select which apps will go through the VPN tunnel and which can bypass the VPN to the unencrypted internet.
- Dedicated VPN router app for unlimited connections. Offers you a dedicated VPN router app, thus giving users an unlimited number of connections with your VPN.
- Has builtin zero-knowledge DNS, ensuring that your personal information such as IP address is never stored on any server.
- Great customer support and 30 days money-back guarantee. Offers 24/7 live chat support directly through their website. All plans are covered by a no-hassle 100% money-back guarantee for your first 30 days of service.
- The service is more expensive than its rivals such as NordVPN. The cheapest price for ExpressVPN is $8.32 per month with the annual plan.
When it comes to secure, fast, reliable, and user-friendly VPN apps that just work, ExpressVPN is the best option available in the market.
NordVPN is one of the most recommended and powerful VPN providers in the world and it offers affordable pricing. Backed by a robust network of about 5,209 VPN servers in 62 countries, it guarantees fast, secure and reliable YouTube streaming services without any lags. In addition, the service secures your data with military-grade encryption using data technologies such as Double VPN, DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch to ensure your sensitive data will not leak.
Headquartered in Panama, where there are no mandatory data retention laws, it guarantees no traffic or activity logs policy. In addition, it supports cross-platform applications and secure browser extensions in Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. At a cost-effective budget, you enjoy various features like crypto and kill switch, unlimited bandwidth, no-logs guarantee, pay in crypto, double encryption, among others.
- Top-notch grade encryption and privacy. Based on a good privacy jurisdiction, it does not need to retain logs of its user’s activities. It uses 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard ( AES ) to ensure data integrity and guarantee utmost security.
- Audited no-log policy. NordVPN does not record, store or share traffic data, connection timestamps, activity logs or any other data with third parties. An independent audit by PricewaterhouseCoopers confirmed that the service remains true to its ‘no-log’ service policies.
- Inbuilt advanced kill Switch prevents IP and DNS data leakages. It has a desktop and a mobile version of NordVPN’s kill switch. The feature ensures there is no data leak in the event of a dropped or compromised VPN connection.
- Supports double-layered VPN. By linking together two VPN servers, your Internet Service Provider will see your first VPN server link, but won’t understand your internet IP address as the second server link is the internet connection. This creates a second layer of protection and anonymity.
- Supports multi-platform protection. Supports up to six links simultaneously under one account. This means you can secure all your desktop and mobile devices individually, without compromising your security.
- Available across different platforms. The client application is available for different platforms such as Mac and other Apple devices, Windows, Linux and Android. This enables users to enjoy protection on the go, no matter which device they are on.
- Consistent fast speeds. With over 5,200 servers in 62 countries, you can connect anywhere in the world. Though, they have fewer servers in Africa and the Asia Pacific locations. Have obfuscated servers, which will automatically hide all VPN traffic to look like regular HTTPS traffic.
- Fair pricing. The service offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and offers massive price discounts longer-term plans.
- Great customer support. Offers 24/7 live chat support through their website.
- Accepts untraceable methods of payments. NordVPN accepts cash and cryptocurrencies as a method of payments in some locations. The company accepts Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple cryptocurrencies.
- Slow app and server connections. It takes a while to connect to the server compared to other competitive products
- OpenVPN configuration isn’t user-friendly. If you prefer to use OpenVPN protocol, you’ll need to download a ZIP file of NordVPN’s servers, which contains the TCP and UDP configuration files for each of their servers. This makes it difficult to install and use.
- Mac OS NordVPN app does not have an internet kill switch. Thus, putting the subscribers at risk of data leak in case of unexpected disconnection. However, the Mac OS app supports the application-level kill switch.
In the VPN world, NordVPN offers one of the best solutions in key areas of security, privacy, and speed. Subscribers get all these at affordable long term subscription plans.
It is based in Switzerland, a country that has strict protection of privacy by prohibiting the processing of personal data which is not expressly authorized by the owner. It includes a network of over 700 VPN servers, backed by robust encryption practices, proprietary software, and excellent customer service.
VyprVPN offers a good set of security features, as it aims to defeat internet blocking and throttling. It has both SSL and the more secure TSL encryptions. When a VyprVPN connection is made, all of your Internet traffic is forwarded from your device to the VyprVPN servers using 128-bit, 160-bit or 256-bit SSL encryption for utmost security and privacy. The tunnelling protocol VyprVPN uses include OpenVPN, L2TP, PPTP and Chameleon.
- Works under a unique proprietary Chameleon protocol. You can access blocked websites such as YouTube and other streaming services without worrying about any government or ISP restrictions.
- Available on all devices. The application offers user-friendly software for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. If you choose the standard plan, you can only connect to three simultaneous devices, while the premium package allows up to 5 simultaneous links under one account.
- Does not log personal data. It does not log traffic data such as the IP address assigned to the user. Additionally, the app does not log connection start or stop time.
- Simple and Hustle free onboarding process. You can easily choose locations with every protocol available.
- Offers VyprVPN Cloud, a security feature that adds another layer of protection when you access your public or private cloud servers such as Azure, Amazon Web Services, VirtualBox, and DigitalOcean.
- Comes with an inbuilt kill switch which blocks any network traffic and connection just in case the VPN is disabled.
- A consistently fast and reliable robust network of 700+ servers in 70 different locations for streaming videos from anywhere in the world.
- Built-in encrypted zero-knowledge VyprDNS to increase user privacy, prevent IP and DNS leaks, as well as defeat online censorship.
- Top-notch hardware for better speed and streaming quality ensuring that you can stream your videos with no buffering.
- An available pool of over 200,000 IP addresses at your disposal to mask your location and conceal your IP address.
- Guaranteed privacy end-to-end. The company handles your data without contracting services from third parties. Therefore, your privacy and security are protected from end-to-end.
- You can log on to up to 5 simultaneous VPN connections under one account.
- Great 24/7/365 user support via a live chat or email.
- Offers a 30 days money-back guarantee.
- It’s expensive compared to other VPNs such as NordVPN. The basic tier costs $9.95/month, while the premium tier costs $12.95/month for a monthly subscription.
- VyprVPN doesn’t allow P2P file-sharing and torrenting. Note that these are some of the best conventions for improving the download speed.
- Three simultaneous connections in the basic plan. If you are running multiple devices – then you’ll want to keep this in mind.
- Doesn’t have clients for Windows Mobile.
VyprVPN is one of the few VPNs that work in China and has proven the ability to bypass the censorship systems that the Chinese government has deployed. It is a fast, robust and secure VPN solution, offering almost excellent performance.
CyberGhost is a capable Romanian-based VPN software, with an extensive network of over 4800 VPN servers located in 58 countries. It offers subscribers online privacy and utmost security service, with affordable long-term plans. while surfing the web.
It uses OpenVPN as the default protocol to secure connections but also supports the new IKEv2 and L2TP/IPsec protocols. Its data encryption is based on AES-256-CBC cipher with SHA256 hash authentication, thus making the keys unbreakable.
- Highly proficient server pool spread in over 58 countries, ensuring the reliability of the service across the globe. Users can switch the server as often, without additional charge.
- Fast speeds. Depending on the respective server uplink, users can reach the speed of a user’s usual Internet connection.
- It’s compatible with Windows, Mac OS, Android, iOS, Linux, Routers and Amazon FireStick and FireTV.
- Supports all sorts of internet connections, such as WLAN, WAN, UMTS, modem, DSL and ISDN.
- Cannot be circumvented. It has an inbuilt Integrated Firewall as an expanded security feature. The firewall prevents programs from opening an Internet connection parallel to the CyberGhost tunnel.
- Uses a ‘surfing encoding’ model based on the RSA procedure. This prevents the ‘Man in the middle’ attacks, thus enhancing the security of data in transit.
- Comes with a built-in internet kill switch to cut off all your online traffic in case you’re unexpectedly compromised.
- Bundled with additional pre-protection features such as ad blocker, force HTTPs, virus and website protection, data compression and to prevent online tracking.
- Audited strict no-logs policy. Keep no logs and doesn’t track your browsing activity over the Internet.
- Value pricing. They are affordable compared to other products such as ExpressVPN. You can lock in a lot of savings when you commit for a long period of time like a 3-year plan.
- Great customer support and comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Since Romania is part of the European Union, CyberGhost as a VPN company has plenty of strict data requirements to live up to, which may compromise the privacy of its users.
- Logs usage data to measure server quality and schedule maintenance or improvements.
- Limited VPN servers in Asia Pacific and African locations.
CyberGhost offers the best-in-class, AES-256 encryption standards to keep all of your devices safe and secure. The basic tier costs $12.99 per user, billed every month, while a 1 one year plan costs $ 5.99 per month billed annually.
PrivateVPN is a relatively popular VPN service. It is based in Sweden, where there are some legal limits regarding handling private data. Private VPN is well known for military encryption features, that is including IPv6 leak protection, L2TP support, a kill switch, IVEv2 support, OpenVPN and port forwarding. Moreover, users can connect up to 6 devices at a go.
- When it comes to versatility, it supports multi-platform apps for different devices featuring specific operating systems. The app is available for PC, Mac, Linux, Ios, Android, Android Tv and TOR.
- It’s safe and secure. It uses the default OpenVPN cypher Blowfish with 128 bit CBC encryption for TAP. It uses OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, IKEv2 and IPSec VPN protocols.
- Works simultaneously on up to six devices per account without having to pay more for the service. This ensures that you are protected across all your devices.
- Offers a kill switch for their Windows app. The switch cuts your connection to the internet when your connection is unexpectedly dropped.
- Offers IPv4, IPv6 and DNS leak protection.
- It’s easy to use and install.
- Excellent customer service. Supports live chat options and ticketing for customers. The company has a fully equipped knowledge base and Frequently Asked Questions page to give users resources to find answers to questions.
- Relatively cheap and easy to understand compared to other VPNs. The yearly plan is only $5.95 per month, too. Offers unlimited bandwidth, server switches, and more across all available plans.
- Offers 30 days money-back guarantee.
- The network is relatively small, with over 150 servers locations spread in 60 countries.
- Mac VPN app does not have a kill switch thus exposing users to IP or DNS data leaks.
- Sketchy logging policy. The service provider claims to keep absolutely no logs of your data. However, they do collect your IP address and cookies.
- Inconsistent server speeds across their network of servers.
- Usability problem. You can’t select and switch to a new location until you’ve closed the current connection.
- Has a small number of servers and the existing ones are concentrated in the US, UK and Canada.
If you need a VPN with low costs and high-quality security, PrivateVPN is the best solution. It gives you plenty of features for a very fair price.
The above-named services operate in locations where the government does not enforce any mandatory data retention laws. You can always rely on them when on YouTube.